Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Quest for a Healthier Lifestyle (aka "My Gastronomical Misadventures")

I totally believe that most of the ailments we have are a direct result of the stuff we put into our bodies, our levels of stress, and our general lack of exercise.

Now, let us not get it twisted, I am not one of these loonies who believes we can cure advanced stage cancer by eating veggies and ingesting roots and berries, but I firmly believe that people with diseases like cancer truly benefit from Naturopathic medicine along with allopathic/osteopathic medicine.

I also believe that there is sufficient evidence to document the fact that eating healthier, cutting out smoking, getting plenty of rest and exercise, and reducing one's stress level can all contribute to the prevention of diseases and ailments like cancer and diabetes, etc.

So, on my journey to become a naturopathic physician, I have decided to try my hardest to walk the walk....Meaning, I am trying to lead a healthier lifestyle.  I exercise everyday, I try to force myself to go to bed on a regular schedule at night (this is hard because I am that wild and crazy chick who can stay up and watch schlocky 70s sci-fi shows on Youtube until 3:45 am, and then be up and in class halfway across town by 8:00 a.m.).

I do not smoke, and I recently made a conscious decision (like, today...seriously) to remove myself from situations where people light up their cigareets....even if they are my friends.  And my life is pretty much on an even low-stress keep right now.  HOWEVER......... that "eating healthier" routine is proving to be a real challenge!

I am a die-hard foodie and I was raised in the south.  To me, breakfast is: eggs, grits with a hunk of block cheese and butter and a side of corned beef hash, toast drowned in melted butter, link sausages, breakfast sausages, bacon, a glass of whole milk, a cup of coffee loaded with some ridiculously sweet flavored creamer, and a small tumbler of orange juice.  And three hours later, I'm hungry again....I'm talking real stuff here folks.  

I can't help it, that is who I am.  However, it is my firm belief that the previously mentioned gastronomical delights is the kind of diet is what will put me in an early grave. So, I'm trying to walk the walk, but I keep slipping off the food path. 

One day last week, I did really well and I went to Whole Foods Market for most of the week and ate dinners that consisted of organic, and healthy foods like the following:

Asparagus & Broccoli (underneath), Succotash, Relish Items,
Pico De Gallo & BBQ Baked Organic Chicken Wings

I topped it all off with roasted garlic

I visited Whole Foods Market four nights out of the week last week, and I felt really good about the food choices I made.  But then....on Friday afternoon, I was in math class (a 4 hour class/lab) and I began to feel striking hunger pains

Someone suggested that I go and check out the grill on campus (I usually do not venture into the campus common areas - my "rah rah, sis boom ba!" days are over, so I go to class and go home), but I never ignore my stomach so, I was off to the grill in a matter of minutes.  When I got there, man was I in trouble, because what did I happen upon?  I happened upon a foot long hot dog!  

My mind screamed at me and it said "NO GIRL! Walk over to the cafeteria and get a nice green salad and a hefty plate of steamed veggies."  But as I headed toward the cafeteria to get to the salad bar, people passed by me with loaded foot long hot dogs.  

My mouth watered, I felt faint, and all I could think about was sinking my teeth into one of those 12 inch meat feasts....(keep your mind clean).  I faltered, I fell, I failed, and I wound up screwing up my week by adding this into the mix:
As You Can See, My Greedy Self Couldn't Even Wait
Long Enough To Pull Out My Iphone & Snap A Shot!
(Two Huge Bites are Already Gone)

To add salt to the wound, I paid approximately $8 for each meal at Whole Foods & I was still relatively hungry afterwards.  The foot long hot dog sells for a mere $1.25, and I almost could not eat it all - and if you knew me personally, you would know that I rarely come upon a food challenge that I cannot conquer.

All in all I guess its about a healthy balance.  Nutritionists suggest that we never outright deny ourselves of the foods we really want, we just have to consume them in moderation if they are not exactly healthy for us. 

I guess for now I will try to eat healthy meals throughout the week and I'll consider that hot dog my weekend splurge.  Sheesh!  Why couldn't it have been a veggie foot long hot dog that tasted so good?



No comments:

Post a Comment