Thursday, August 30, 2012

MCAT or Not?

Admission to naturopathic medical school does not require one to take the MCAT for admission.  All of the usual medical school science prerequisites (Bio, Chem,Org Chem, Biochem, Phys) are required for entry, along with a bachelor's degree, but the MCAT is not a requirement.

I should probably be happy that the MCAT is not required, but I am on the fence about that one.  I am a person who tests well, and I will study like crazy (as evidenced by my LSAT adventure) if I know that I am expected to ace a comprehensive examination.  Even though it is not required, I think I will take the exam anyway, here's why:

I like the fact that the MCAT is designed to test approximately how much of the knowledge you have retained in core science courses. I like the feeling of accomplishment I get whenever I perform well on a test that measures how well I know my stuff.  A part of my desire to test well is the competitive spirit within me, and the other part is my feeling that ADHD-I is truly disabling to me. I need reassurance that I am actually mastering the necessary content to help me to, not just succeed, but excel in naturopathic medical school.

Although the reality of the exam is quite a way off into the distant future, I do believe I will challenge myself to retain as much knowledge as I can, so I can "strut my stuff" on the MCAT.  I will take that exam, even if only to prove to myself that I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment